Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

So today started as any other day. I get up and take care of my dog Cocoa. We go downstairs so I can take her out to go potty then we come back up to the breakfast room where she will eat her breakfast. But after I fed her today, a pink envelope on the counter catches my eye. It has "Jilene "Lamb chop"" on the front of it. So automatically I know it is for me, and I already know that it's from my dad. He has called me "lamb chop" since I was born. He will say I am his little lamb chopper. I know it's silly, but it's one of those things that will always be precious to me. So--I open up the card--and obviously it's a Valentine's Day card. The card itself is inscribed with a message about how a dad is looking back in time to past Valentine's Days and over time how the daughter has always had a special way of "filling life with love". It's a typical card from a dad to his daughter telling her how much he loves her. And typically, the cards I receive end in "Love, Dad[and Mom]"---but today this one had a message from my dad. It said: "God wouldn't wait so long if He wasn't preparing someone very special for you. Until then and always you will always be my Valentine. Love, Dad". Okay people, the water works started then. I've been extra emotional since I lost my job, but that really just struck a chord in my heart and the flood gates opened. I think that was one of the sweetest and most precious things that my Dad has ever said to me. I will cherish this card for the rest of my life. It means so much to me because of not only how much it shows he loves me, but also that he knows I struggle with being single and waiting for finding the right man to marry. He knows that God has someone out there, but he also acknowledged the fact that I have been waiting, but it has not been for no reason. This makes this Valentine's the best one I've ever had so far in my 24 years of life. It just makes my heart very happy and I feel extra loved today. Even if I don't have a "someone special" to share it with--I have the best Valentine anyone could ask for. My dad. I forget sometimes how much my parents love me--and I long to find a man that will love me for who I am--quirks and awkwardness and all. But I already have a man that loves me unconditionally for who I am and would go to the moon and back to do anything for me...my dad.

So today, I don't feel the need to be sad or lonely because I don't have a date for Valentine's Day. I have the love of my parents who show me time after time how much they love me and would do anything for me. They mirror God's love. And that's the best kind of love.

3 comments:

  1. P-R-E-C-I-O-U-S!!! You have a very special relationship with your folks, indeed! And I love the sentiment! It says what we feel for our girls perfectly! Happy Valentine's Day Jilene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I think you have the best Valentine's story yet! I am jealous of you! :D You are special and worth waiting for...glad your dad captured that!

    ReplyDelete