Thursday, December 1, 2011

december?

Wow. That's about all I can say about how quickly this year has gone by. It is already December, and the Christmas season is upon us--and we have 24 more shopping days left--and 25 days til that big day! I must say I'm looking forward to this month. There is so much going on this month that I'm so looking forward to. Christmas parties, Christmas programs, Christmas family get togethers, etc. I love Christmas! I love the music, movies, parties, lights, trees, decorations, and of course...food!

This year though brings about some different feelings for me. I've had a lot happen this year and especially over the past couple of months. The trials that I've gone through have shown me some things that I need to work on in myself. And with the Christmas season in full swing--it's time I take some of the lessons I've learned to heart and act in a Christlike mood. It is, after all, the season in which we celebrate His birth. That's why it's called Christmas. It's all about Him. No one else. I have so much to be thankful for, and so much to celebrate. I have almost been given a clean bill of health[after my doctor's appointment Monday--I'll know for sure] and I have everything that I could ever need and so much more!

There are so many people who are so much less fortunate than I am and dealing with things that I could never even imagine having to deal with. It's by the grace of God that I have gotten through the past couple of months. But there are so many people who are not as blessed as I am. I have wonderful doctors and medical care, a successful surgery, a family who loves me and wants to help take care of me as I recover, and insurance to help defray most of my medical costs. It's such a blessing to have that, especially at this time of the year--the holidays are a hard time for a lot of people because money is a huge issue. There are so many families and people who are hurting and we are in such a hurry to get our shopping done, get to our parties on time, or whatever else it is we have occupying our minds and blinding us to the needs of others. This is the time of year when those of us who have been blessed and fortunate enough to have plenty should be aware of the people around us who are struggling.

I want to challenge anyone reading this, as well as myself to stop. Look around you. Take off your blinders and see the people around you who may need a little help this Christmas. Let us not be so consumed with ourselves and all the stuff that we need/want, and let us be like Christ and give of ourselves. He gave so much, for what? He didn't expect anything in return. Now as a believer and a follower of Christ, I am called to give to the poor and take care of those less fortunate. I have been given much[responsibility/talents/etc] so that I can help others. No matter what I do for others--a kind word, opening a door, carrying groceries, taking someone to the doctor, etc. Find ways to help people who are in need. It doesn't matter how small. The best way to start out is doing little things. Then work your way up. And I promise by doing things for others, you will be blessed by it. Some of the times of greatest fulfillment in my life have come when I've been doing things for others. We are called to be servants. So let's get some practice. This is the perfect time to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment