Tuesday, January 4, 2011

::Memories::

January 4th, a day that will forever mark my family's heart as a day they lost someone that was very special and precious. My Nana, Virginia Dare Gardner Wilson. She lost her battle with cancer this day, 23 years ago. Has it really been this long? I knew her only a short time, and I don't remember her at all. What I know of her is from what has been told to me by my family and the pictures and very treasured family videos--and a couple of recorded tapes. I know she was a very godly and sweet woman. And she has been missed very much since her passing. I have hope and peace because I know that someday I will see her again. Although, it will not be the same on that side of heaven, it brings me joy and great comfort to know she is there, safe and waiting[although I'm sure she has much better things to do there!]

It does sadden me though, that I don't have memories of her. My own personal memories. I don't have a memory of her voice, scent, touch. I also don't have this for my other grandmother who passed away just two weeks after my Nana. I never had the pleasure of growing up having my two very loving grandmothers around at birthdays, Thanksgivings, Christmases, or any other holiday. I don't remember what their chocolate chip cookies or mashed potatoes tasted like or what the sound of their voice when they sang a song or blessed the food. They had their view of my life from a window in heaven[I'm not so sure how that works--I guess someday I'll find out] They were only here for a very small part of my life. I know I would have loved them dearly--just knowing what I know about them, I love them--but it's a different kind of love. There are times I wish I had a time machine and I could go back at the age I am now, so I could talk to them, hug them, and hear their voices. It would be pretty awesome if I had a time machine, I have a couple other people who I'd like to go back and hug again and hear their voices. But I don't have that luxury. All I have are all my memories[or the memories and stories of others] to carry me through--to make me smile, or cry, whenever I think or hear about them. I'm so glad that I have pictures, videos, and recorded tapes. What precious treasures to have so I can remember the rich heritage that I have in my family.

So, my challenge to anyone who may read this. Don't forget your family. Cherish every second that you have with them. Tell them you love them. And for those that have passed--go back down memory lane. Look at a picture. Read one of their favorite books. Make one of their famous recipes. Then thank God for them. Because He knew how we would need our families and that's why He gave them to us.

So cherish all the moments and make lots of memories in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment